[wpcol_1half id=”” class=”” style=””]
Make It Appealing
So you’ve decided to sell your home. Let’s take a look at all the things you can do to increase your chances of success.
First of all, it helps to understand the mindset of the typical home buyer.
Most buyers have certain priorities in mind when they shop for a house. By the time they finally make an offer to purchase, they have probably visited several places which meet their basic needs.[/wpcol_1half] [wpcol_1half_end id=”” class=”” style=””]
Why Your Home Over Other Homes?
Experienced real estate agents tell us that, once the basic requirements have been met, choosing a home becomes an emotional decision for many buyers. They may weigh the pros and cons carefully, but in the end they’ll often choose the one that “feels” right.
So how do you make your house feel like the perfect home? The trick is to communicate subconsciously by appealing to the five senses.
1. greet your visitors with the scent of fresh flowers or the aroma of freshly-baked bread or cookies
2. have pleasant music playing softly in the background
3. give the impression of spaciousness and airiness – remove bulky furniture, open the curtains, turn on extra lights
4. display colour photos of outdoor views during different seasons near the front and back doors
5. add warmth whenever possible – light a fire, turn on lamps rather than overhead lights, close curtains at night
6. see to your guests’ comfort – prepare a spot for coats and footwear, and arrange seating to help them with their shoes/boots depending on the season
These strategies are especially effective for open houses – an occasion when it’s in your best interests to pull out all the stops. For private visits, be creative and do whatever you can on short notice to make your home appealing.